Nari Mistry: Biography page
After a long career as a research physicist, I retired in 2003 after 39 years in the Physics Department at Cornell University.
(Ph.D., Physics, Columbia University, New York, 1963)
Since then I have been catching up on all the painting and music that I missed in all those busy years. Now I take my paints when I travel and have my eye open for subjects large and small everywhere. When the weather is bad, I take photographs from which I work in the studio to finish a painting. This is also necessary to record quickly-shifting light conditions.
Although my work in watercolors & oils has been mainly representational in an expressionist style, I am turning to more abstract work in acrylics, experimenting in brilliant translucent color fields.
Recent/Selected Exhibitions ( Group Shows except when noted ):
• STATE OF THE ART GALLERY, Ithaca, GIAT group show Oct. 2012
• ITHACA VISITORS' CENTER, Ithaca, solo exhibit, Sept.2 - 30, 2012
• FINGERLAKES WINE CENTER, Ithaca, solo exhibit, July 6 - Aug. 17, 2012
• NEVIN CENTER, Cornell Univ. Plantations, solo exhibit, Mar.2 - April 28, 2012
• State of the Art Gallery, Ithaca, juried show, Dec.2 - 30, 2011
• ATWATER ESTATE VINEYARDS, solo exhibit, Aug.1 - 31, 2011
• ARTSPACE at Center Ithaca, July 1 to Aug.31, 2011
• ROGUE'S HARBOR INN, Ithaca, solo exhibit, Feb 1 - March 15, 2011
• PleinAir Painters Group Show, Tompkins Cty Airport (Nov08-Jan27’09)
• State of the Art Gallery, Ithaca (Oct 2008)
• Ithaca Artists Invitational, Upstairs Gallery, Ithaca (2008)