Nari Mistry: Biography page
After a long career as a research physicist, I retired in 2003 after 39 years in the Physics Department at Cornell University.
(Ph.D., Physics, Columbia University, New York, 1963)
Since then I have been catching up on all the painting and music that I missed in all those busy years. Now I take my paints when I travel and have my eye open for subjects large and small everywhere. When the weather is bad, I take photographs from which I work in the studio to finish a painting. This is also necessary to record quickly-shifting light conditions.
Although my work in watercolors & oils has been mainly representational in an expressionist style, I am turning to more abstract work in acrylics, experimenting in brilliant translucent color fields.
Recent/Selected Exhibitions ( Group Shows except when noted ):
• CAP ArtSpace, Ithaca, regional Juried show March, 2017
• STATE OF THE ART GALLERY, Ithaca, GIAT group shows (2006 -- 2016)
• Solo exhibit, SUNNY DAYS, Ithaca, NY, July 2016
• STATE OF THE ART GALLERY, Ithaca, GIAT group show Oct. 2015
• Solo exhibit, JUST A TASTE Restaurant, Ithaca, NY, Nov.9- Dec.14, 2014
• Solo exhibit, KENDAL @ ITHACA, Nov.1 - Dec. 31, 2014
• Solo exhibit, LAMOREAUX LANDING WINE CELLARS, Lodi, NY, Jan.- Apr.,2014
• Solo exhibit, AMERICANA WINERY, Interlaken, NY, Aug. 2013
• STATE OF THE ART GALLERY, Ithaca, regional Juried show Dec.5-27, 2012
• ITHACA VISITORS' CENTER, Ithaca, solo exhibit, Sept.2 - 30, 2012
• FINGERLAKES WINE CENTER, Ithaca, solo exhibit, July 6 - Aug. 17, 2012
• NEVIN CENTER, Cornell Univ. Plantations, solo exhibit, Mar.2 - April 28, 2012
• ATWATER ESTATE VINEYARDS, solo exhibit, Aug.1 - 31, 2011
• ARTSPACE at Center Ithaca, July 1 to Aug.31, 2011
• ROGUE'S HARBOR INN, Ithaca, solo exhibit, Feb 1 - March 15, 2011